Elaborate instructions on how to cite dissertation APA
There are several referencing styles and I APA is one of them. If you have been asked to use the APA referencing style for your dissertation there are detailed rules that you are going to have to follow. It is essential that you conform to the APA standard if you want a high grade for your dissertation because the review board will knock points off your final score if you are not accurate with this referencing style. Before you start writing your thesis, it would be of great benefit to you if you studied a sample apa dissertation, this will give you a better idea of the standard that is required of you. Here are some instructions on the apa dissertation format.
- All pages should be typed with double spacing, the reference page will also need to be double spaced.
- Number each page in consecutive order; you should also number the title page. Each number should be at the top of the page in the right-hand corner and typed in Arabic numerals, e.g., 1,2,3,4.
- Every source used within your paper should be accounted for and cited. This includes the ideas that you have paraphrased from other works.
- Citations should appear in two locations within a paper, these include:
You should use the Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary for your spelling reference.
All words in article titles and book titles should be capitalized.
You will only need to capitalize the first word of title in your reference list.
When quoting directly from a source you should include the author’s name, the year the book or article was published, and the page number that the information was found on.
Most electronic sources don’t have a page number, when referencing you will need to use a paragraph number and add the abbreviation ‘para.’
When there is no page or paragraph number you will need to mention the title of the document.
When more than one author is referenced at the same time, list them in alphabetical order.
The reference list is called the bibliography.
The reference list should include all references that have been mentioned in your paper.
Type the word ‘reference’ in the centre of the top page of the reference list.
- Inside the actual text, this is known as in-text citation.
- In the reference section at the end of your paper.
It is advised that while you are writing your dissertation you use a referencing software to keep track of your references. This will ensure that you include all of them in your bibliography. Once you have completed it, make sure that you read over and check your work several times to ensure that you haven’t made any careless mistakes.